My First Solo Travelogue: Part Five


Day Five: 23.07.2018

We got a wakeup call at 6am; breakfast was at 7am. There was sabudana khichdi for those who had fast. Today's dress code was red. We had a group photo in the garden and left for our journey at 8am. Today the roads were rough and we had more jumping breaks at the backseat, thus not allowing me to click photos. There were four levels of elevation. At 10.30am, around 60 army vehicles passed the road, making us wait for a while. We reached Chang La pass at 10:45am.




Chang La

It is a high mountain pass in Ladakh, on the route to Pangong Lake from Leh. Though it is some 500ft less in elevation than Khardung La, it was colder and there was thick fog covering the mountain tops. There was a Changla Baba temple. Also it drizzled for a while adding up to the cold temperature.



There were water streams flowing parallel and we did see some yaks. We halted at 12.45pm at Ashoka restaurant for tea, coffee and maggi break. Then passed through the military camp. On the way we saw marmots; these are large squirrels who live in burrows. 


At 01:30pm, we got the first view of the lake and we drove on the road parallel to the lake and reached Hotel Alpen Glow at 2pm. There were tent houses, and we were just a few minutes away from the lake. We had lunch and were going to visit the lake at 03:30pm. So there was no time to take even a quick nap.




Pangong Tso


It is an endorheic lake (it does not meet any sea or ocean) situated in the Himalayas at 14270ft. It is a salt water lake and freezes completely during winter. The Line of Control passes through this lake. The most notable feature of the lake is the ever changing hues of the water; its the mountain reflection and sun rays adding to make a colourful moving canvas. The lake acts as an important breeding ground for a large variety of migratory birds like Brahmani ducks, rare black necked cranes and Seagulls.

We clicked photos and selfies and took videos. There were props of 3 Idiots movie. The lake got to fame due to this movie. There was a yellow scooty and red helmet of Piya (Kareena Kapoor). Many wore the red bridal dress and posed for the click. Then there were 3Idiot seats and drums as well. There were yaks and horses for ride. Also there were ladakhi dresses; I tried it since I missed the opportunity at Rancho School. Wearing the dress was fine and also the ornaments. But when the lady put the stone studded piece on my head, I could feel the weight and was amazed how did the female artists dance yesterday with this complete attire. We got back to Alpen Glow and had tea.
All Izz Well

All set to find.....

Felt like Kareena in Jab We Met song "Ye Ishq Hai"

Four of us (Mayuri, Supriya, Aarti,me) went back to the lake at 06:30pm after taking permission from the tour managers. I always want some ME time when I am on any trip or otherwise. We went solo after reaching the shore. As always I found a rock to sit in and start contemplating of my solo life. I didn't knew that even lake water rises at the shore. I was busy videoing the mountain and the water splashing the rock I was sitting on and even captured some thunder signs of rain arrival. It felt like I am boating on the lake. Click here for the video 

We got back to our tents. I got a feeling that I would catch cold and fall ill. Dr. Vibhavari Kashalikar did suggest some precautionary measures to avoid cold; I was so thankful to her. As it started getting darker, the temperature dropped. We had dinner at 8pm, watching the movie Robot. French fries and mango juice was arranged for those who had fast today. We got back to our tents; I slept at 09:30pm itself. It was raining in the night. Two of my tent dreams were fulfilled now: one in the deep valley and another in the vicinity of a lake. Co-travelers do put in your experience of the day in the comments below.


Comments

Most Read Recent Experience